Saturday, October 4, 2008

Higher Powers

It seems like every time I come to Michigan something always goes wrong. Something that makes me think I really should have just stayed at home. It used to be Amtrak turning 4.5 hour trips into 8 hour trips, so then I started driving. Then my car broke down in Saywer, so then I started taking Megabus. Then there was the time I drove all the way in to go camping with my family, and 15 miles from the campground my mom called to say my dad was in the hospital with a ruptured disk and the trip was off.

This time gets the prize, though. My bus was only 15 minutes late getting to Ann Arbor, only my mom had driven to the Amtrak station to pick me up, not the bus lot, so I had to wait 45 minutes for her to figure out where she was and how to get to me. Then, instead of turning right and merging on the freeway, she turned left and drove through downtown Ann Arbor which took half an hour alone. We had planned to go to the apple orchard but by the time we got out of there it was already closed. Later, Lauren and I went to rent a movie but Entertainment Tonight was closed. As in, SHUT DOWN. I couldn't believe it! It's always been there, always open. You could always count on running into someone you knew there, and it was a cornerstone of my high school years. And it's gone. It wasn't just that that made me sad. My elementary school is gone, Wonderland mall is gone, the Quo Vadis is gone... It's like nothing is left of my childhood. At least my parents still live in their house!

Anyway, after we stared at the empty shell of ET for a few minutes, we drove to Family Video and walked around for 45 minutes until we decided on two movies to rent. We walked up to the counter and gave our phone number and the guy said we weren't on the account. Now, we both know for sure that we are on the Family Video account for our family so we made him verify the phone number and he verified we are not on it. He said he needed to call the number and ask the person who is listed if we can rent under the account. We said that was fine 'cuz it was the house number and our dad was home. So the guy called and asked for JON Bailey, and my dad said Jon wasn't there. Because Jon doesn't even live there anymore! And the guy said he had two young ladies (haha thanks, guy) there who wanted to rent and he needed to talk to Jon. He started to raise his voice with my dad and hung up, then turned to us and said he was sorry but couldn't rent to us. So I got snotty and told him to have a nice night, jerk. Well, the jerk part I just thought to myself, but he was a jerk! He could have offered to open an account in my name, but he didn't, so he lost our business.

So we drove to the other Family Video on Inkster and Ann Arbor Trail where our friend from church is a manager there. We verified that our names were both on the account, which they were. Apparetnly at Family Video you can only rent from the location where you opened your account. Blah. So we got our movies and got the H out of there.

This is the best part: Today I had a dental cleaning scheduled for 10am with a girl I love. As you can tell from my last post, I hate hate HATE getting my teeth cleaned, and I spent $60 on a bus ticket to have them cleaned specifically by her. (The dental appointment was the whole reason I came home this weekend.) Well, at 8:45am the office called and said the hygenist couldn't find a sitter and couldn't come in today and they had to cancel. I asked if there was anyone else who could see me today, since I came all the way from Chicago, and they said no, they were booked. And the next Saturday appointment they have available is in January, and it's not even with the girl I like. So it looks like I'm going to have to leave the dentist I've been going to since I was 5 and find a new scary one in Chicago. This pretty much TERRIFIES me. Blah.

It's still a worthwile weekend, however. I love spending time with my family, especially my sisters. Lauren and I got Coldstone yesterday and rocked out to the Top Gun soundtrack in my mom's car for about an hour, and Kirsten has Homecoming today. I even saw Jon for a few minutes! I'm really glad I'm here, even if everything didn't go as planned.

No comments: